Our Careers Leader is: Stuart Fink
He can be contacted at:
Stuart Fink, Northgate School , Edgware Community Hospital , Burnt Oak Broadway, Edgware HA8 0AD
Contact number: 0208 2894 777
Students, parents and employers wishing to know more about our careers programme can contact Stuart. Our careers programme is designed to be bespoke to the individual needs of students.
At Northgate School students have the opportunity to engage in a range of careers and work related learning activities. As a school we are firmly aligned towards achieving the Gatsby Benchmarks. In short, the Gatsby Benchmarks have a key role in:
- Raising young people’s aspirations and promoting access to all career pathways.
- Enabling all young people to develop the skills and outlook they need to achieve career wellbeing, including adaptability and resilience.
- Underpinning the Department for Education guidance to schools on meeting their statutory responsibility for career guidance.
Students at Northgate School all have access to:
- A stable careers programme which is delivered through PSHE, Life Skills lessons, assemblies and drop down days.
- The opportunity to learn from career and labour market information
- Careers related activities which link to different curriculum areas. This supports the connection between subject areas and future career opportunities.
- Encounters with employers and employees. For example our young people have had the opportunity to interview an author and a GP to find out more about routes into these sectors.
- Experience with workplaces.
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance which meets the individual needs to each student
We map our careers activities against The Gatsby Benchmarks. Examples of how we do this can be seen on the attached document.
Please see below for some useful careers links.
http://www.plotr.co.uk – Games, and activities which are matched to you to get you thinking about your next steps
www.nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk - The National Careers Service provides information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work opportunities. The service offers confidential and impartial advice. This is supported by qualified careers advisers.
www.apprenticeships.org.uk/ - The official government website to find out about apprenticeships.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship - National database of apprenticeship vacancies.
www.careersbox.co.uk/ - A free online library of careers related film, news and information. Case study films show real people doing real jobs, giving viewers insight into careers across all sectors and helping them to find the right career.
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk Career pilot offers quick videos and impartial information and advice about options and different types of qualifications.